The Killers are dying to cut loose
Down the business end of their Las Vegas studios, The Killers’ drummer Ronnie Vannucci Jr is anxiously pacing.
Not because the band is unveiling songs from their fourth album Battle Born - named after their studio - to prying journalists. Rather in his head, he’s already way out of his home town of Vegas and firmly on the road.
“Our touring starts from July through to question mark,” he says, happy with the open-ended schedule.
“It’s been too long making this record. Unnaturally long.”
Battle Born is indeed the most time The Killers have ever spent on a record, arriving four years after their third album Day & Age.
“It’s time,” Vannucci says.
“I can’t wait to get out of this f-ing studio so we can go out and play. There’s a craziness that’s been building up and up, making me into a crazy person.
“You get to a point where the songs are in a place were you don’t really need to worry about them, they just need to be mixed.
“So my mind is already towards the live show, it’s like getting out of jail, you’re ready to show the world.”
First up, there’s an album to finish. For the first time in The Killers’ history, they’ve used multiple producers on one album - five all up.
There’s Daniel Lanois, who frontman Brandon Flowers bonded with on his 2010 solo album Flamingo.
“He makes you want to be better,” Flowers says. “That’s a good start right there.”
There’s also Pearl Jam producer Brendan O’Brien, who invited the band to Nashville, Bjork’s cohort Damian Taylor, Stuart Price, who produced Day & Age, and Brit Steve Lillywhite, the man behind some of their favourite U2, Talking Heads and Morrissey records.
Battle Born sees the Killers return to the Americana-feel of their Sam’s Town album.
The ridiculously catchy Runaways slots nicely next to The Killers’ rock anthems including When You Were Young.
“There’s more in that vein on the album,” Flowers says. “You’ve got to tap into that sucker if you can.”
After the “experimental” Day & Age, Battle Born sees guitars back front and centre in The Killers.
“Thank God,” Vannucci says. “Day & Age was a reaction to Sam’s Town,” Flowers says. “This is almost a reaction to Day & Age. You just can’t help it.”
The band are in the midst of mixing the record with Alan Moulder (My Bloody Valentine) who’ll add cohesion from the various producers.
Then comes the process of deciding what makes the cut. One newbie - Rising Tide - is on shaky ground when we speak. The catchy Flesh and Bone looks locked in. As does Carry Me Home. One song - Miss Atomic Bomb - was dumped, then salvaged.
“I can’t imagine it not being on the album now,” Flowers says. “I’m happy to hear
that dude,” a relieved Vannucci says.
The title track is also a keeper.
The band are particularly happy with Heart Of A Girl which was recorded live, just 30 minutes after being written.
“It doesn’t usually happen that fast,” Flowers admits.
“It’s great that it’s 2012, where everyone’s making everything perfect on computers, fixing pitches,” Vannucci says. “That’s just a nice snapshot of a band in a room, making music.”
The other extreme is Here With Me, which sounds like precisely the kind of mainstream mid-tempo track The Killers haven’t given American radio to date.
“It’s one of the most accessible things we’ve ever done, definitely,” Flower says.
Flowers admits he’s anxious about The Killers’ comeback after so long away, but notes the misunderstood Day & Age (whose use of saxophone, divisive at the time, is now the instrument du jour) featured the right songs at perhaps the wrong time.
“(2008 single) Human was ahead of its time,” Flowers says. “If you put that sh- out right now it would destroy. It’s our biggest song pound for pound. But now we’re about to throw you on another loop.”
Battle Born is due to be released later this year
- runawayoutoftown reblogged this from thekillersspain
- buzz-killingt0n reblogged this from tonightisingalong
- tonightisingalong reblogged this from thekillersspain and added:
- tonightisingalong likes this
- fosterthexx reblogged this from itsbrandonflowers
- ghaniatreides reblogged this from thekillersspain
- ghaniatreides likes this
- 22esther22 reblogged this from c0nsoleme
- 22esther22 likes this
- killerkiri likes this
- clur3 reblogged this from thekillersspain
- my-sams-town reblogged this from justshakealittle
- gonnalookatthestars reblogged this from thekillersspain
- james-dean-in-the-rain reblogged this from thekillerssluts
- thelightsareburning likes this
- justshakealittle reblogged this from thekillerssluts
- justshakealittle likes this
- thekillerssluts reblogged this from unusualsounds
- soyundiosdorado reblogged this from unusualsounds
- unusualsounds reblogged this from thekillersspain
- viestadisaster likes this
- xmrsbrightside reblogged this from tieduptoadream and added:
- a-dream-might-help-you-cope reblogged this from thekillersspain
- tieduptoadream reblogged this from thekillersspain
- theseshotguneyes likes this
- starsareblazing reblogged this from jess1820 and added:
- wontsomeonedancewithme likes this
- battleporn likes this
- c0nsoleme reblogged this from thekillerssluts and added:
- c0nsoleme likes this
- miss-atomicbomb reblogged this from thekillerssluts and added:
- im-afreebird likes this
- ohhhhmarkiloosecontrol likes this
- thekillerssluts likes this
- fascinatedmiseducated likes this
- ifitsnotinyourmind likes this
- fight-against-the-ugliness likes this
- amajestyatmydoorstep reblogged this from talkstostrangers
- younevershineifyouneverburn likes this
- imperfecthoughts likes this
- victim143 likes this
- killedbythekillers likes this
- yummygummysweaterpuppies reblogged this from thekillersspain
- yummygummysweaterpuppies likes this
- neon-kats-doodles likes this
- ofvictimsandcoldplayers likes this
- ofvictimsandcoldplayers reblogged this from talkstostrangers
- loveetc100 reblogged this from talkstostrangers
- astuteobservation reblogged this from tenfortyone
- tenfortyone reblogged this from talkstostrangers